The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce the opportunity to compete for 2009-2010 Fulbright Student Fellowships for graduate study in the United States leading to a Masters degree or a Ph.D. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis to qualified candidates under the auspices of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Program, subject to the availability of funding.The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 by the U.S. Congress as a means “to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.”
For more than sixty years the Fulbright Program has provided opportunities for foreign nationals to study, teach and pursue research in the U.S.To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a strong academic background and a record of excellence in previous studies;
- Have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university for those applying to study in the U.S. for a Master’s degree program, or have a Master’s degree from a recognized college or university for those applying to study in the U.S. for a Ph.D. program;
- Be proficient in English (minimum score of 570 on TOEFL or ITP, or 230 on computer-based TOEFL), or 88 on internet based TOEFL;
- Demonstrate ability to adapt readily to a foreign environment;
- Be in good health and able to undergo a rigorous study program; and
- Have no previous study experience in the United States.
Fulbright Student Fellowship grants provide round-trip transportation to the United States, as well as tuition, fees and living expenses for full-time graduate study. Grant provisions do not include financial support for dependents.
Applicants who do not already have an official TOEFL score of 570 or above should plan to take the Institutional TOEFL Practice (ITP) on March 22, 2008 at the Royal University of Phnom Penh. Registration for the ITP is available through the Educational Advising Center at RUPP (room 103) from Monday-Friday, with a registration deadline of March 12, 2008. The next ITP available will be April 26, 2008, with registration deadline of April 16, 2008. Please contact Mr. Hang Chanthon for registration of the ITP at 023-448-320.
Students receiving a 570 or above on the TOEFL or ITP are invited to apply for the Fulbright program online. The application and detailed instructions are available at: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/, or www.iie.org/fulbright/apps. The Fulbright Selection Committee will only accept online applications, which will be due by June 6, 2008. Applicants must submit all required supporting documents and test score reports directly to the Fulbright Committee of the U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh. For further information, please contact Mr. Chau Sa at tel. 023-728248, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.